Thursday, March 27

Mellow Orange Cake, and Cream Cheese Frosting

I've really been in a sweet mood lately. Not speaking 100% about my disposition, but about my baking mood. I've been all about the sweet tooth! Here's my latest find. It came from a cookbook my husband gave me a year ago at Christmas; a family cookbook of one of his employees, and it's had some wonderful recipes in it!

Mellow Orange Cake
by Lisa Whitt

2 3/4 c cake flour or 2 1/2 c flour (I used white whole wheat, of course!)*
1 1/2 c sugar
1 1/2 t soda
3/4 t salt
1 1/2 c buttermilk
1/2 c softened butter
1/2 c shortening**
3 eggs
1 1/2 t vanilla
1/2 c finely chopped nuts (I used walnuts)
1 T grated orange peel

Measure all ingredients into large mixer bowl. Blend on low about 30 seconds, the beat 3 minutes on high. Pour into greased and floured pan(s), 1 (9x13) or 2 (9-inch round) layers. Bake 45-50 minutes for oblong pans, 30-35 minutes for layers.*** Frost when cool; see recipe below.

*Could someone explain the difference between cake flour and regular flour? I know what bread flour is. Help me!!

**I used all butter. It turned out fine. And yummy.

***No bake temperature was given, so I started at 350, but it was taking too long to cook (I made the round layers), so I turned it up to 375. But keep in mind that my oven is hateful and cooks wonky. Most cakes are baked at 350 or 375, so try the lower, and if it's taking too long, turn it up. I'm all for improvising.


Food Processor Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting


6 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips*
4 oz butter (1 stick, I think)
1 1/2 c powdered sugar
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 T grated orange peel

Use the metal blade to chop chocolate fine, about 45 seconds. Melt butter and, with motor running, pour through feed tube and process one minuets. Add remaining ingredients and process until smooth. Scraping down, work bowl as necessary, 30-45 seconds. (You'll need to scrape the bowl often.)

*I used Nestle Tollhouse chips, so trust me when I tell you to shell out the money for quality chips. Seriously.

You could easily do this without a food processor, just make sure you chop the chocolate fine, get the butter really melted (read: hot), the cream cheese super soft, and have a good stiff whisk. This recipe was more than enough to frost the two-layer cake above.

And if you didn't want to use any of the orange, or the walnuts, this would be a great basic cake recipe.

Enjoy!!

No comments: