Sunday, June 8

Oat Pancakes

Also known as The Best Pancakes EVER. Please disregard my last recipe, I was young and silly and didn't know the error of my ways. I'm so sorry!! But seriously, we usually have these at least once a week. I always double the recipe and have a few left over, which we either have for snacks in the afternoon, or I freeze for a later morning.

Oat Pancakes
by Anita Cogburn

1 c oats
1 c whole-wheat flour, or white whole-wheat flour
2 T sugar
2 t baking powder
1 t salt
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/4 c milk
1/4 c white vinegar*
1/4 c oil

Add vinegar to milk, and let sit for about 10 minutes (until it looks like buttermilk). Combine oats, flour, sugar, powder, and salt in a large bowl. Mix well, and set aside. Combine all the wet ingredients, and mix into the dry bowl until just combined. Do not over mix!! Pout batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a lightly greased hot griddle; turn when bubbles form and just start to pop on the surface of the pancake. Cook until second side is golden brown.

*You're adding the vinegar to the milk to make buttermilk. If you happen to have buttermilk on hand, then just use 1 1/2 c buttermilk, and no vinegar.

I know!!! How simple is that!!!! Ok. So go forth and make these pancakes. In the morning. Pour hot syrup on them. Add pecans. Or sliced strawberries. Or those super cool mini chocolate chips. Your kids will love you, your husband will be so happy that he'll forget he married you and propose on the spot, and did you see all the ingredients? If you don't count all the syrup (which of course I don't), these pancakes aren't too bad for you!!!

You could quadruple this recipe, which I've totally done when I've got family in town, and make your family think you're the best cook ever, or you could quadruple the recipe for you and your normal family, freeze the leftovers, and have pancakes every morning for a week. Or, once a week for like a month, and not have to cook but once. I'm just saying.

(PS-tune in tomorrow for my 250th post, and a fun, super top-secret surprise!!!!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love oats. And I love pancakes. So I guess that means I'm gonna have to give these a try! Thanks for posting the recipe.

Joy
Happy to be at Home
Five J's

Anonymous said...

We love oat pancakes at our house. I have tried several recipes, but yours looks good. Thanks for sharing!
Toni
http://happytobeathome.net