Saturday, December 13

Update

Well, the decision has been made. And now that that's out of the way, I can tell you what was going on.

John was offered a promotion. I know, you're thinking, 'Yay, John! Good for you!!'

But not so much. The promotion that was offered was in Plainview, Texas. Which is, as my dad put it, 'not the end of the world, but not too far from it.' If you cut off the panhandle of Texas where it stop being straight on the Oklahoma side, Plainview is about a county below there, right in the middle. The middle of nowhere, that is!

Yes, it would have been more money, and a chance to do something new. But really, it's only money. We're doing fine financially, and we're more than happy out where we are. And we like our trees. The only trees near Plainview are the ones people have planted in town. And we'd end up living in town, and I don't like living in towns. (We're 15 minutes from Bastrop right now, and that's about as close to a town as I plan on living!)

Actually, I was far more willing to go out there than John. Part of that is because I have more of a restless spirit, and you only live once, right? It wouldn't be forever. Maybe 5 years. But I love my life out here. I love my church, and my friends, and my family, and I know I wouldn't lose friendships or family, but right now my parents are less than two hours away. So is all the rest of my family. And John's family. And all my friends.

Except Sarah, who did something ridiculous and MOVED TO OHIO. But that's an old rant that you've heard before.

Sarah, I miss you and I can't wait to see you in February!

Anyway. We'd be at least 8 hours from my life here, and 9+ hours from my family in Katy and Houston. I'd really miss everything out here. John told me that he didn't want to leave, because 1) he thought he'd 'shrivel up and die in that part of the state' (I'm not kidding. He said that several times), and 2) he's never been happier in his life than he is right now.

It's just money. And what's more money if you're not happy?

So after lots of taking and a ton of prayer, we realized that we had made the best decision for our family. And, best of all, we have complete and total peace that we made the right choice.

2 comments:

Gidget said...

I'm so glad to hear that you have peace with your decision. Sometimes that seems to be the hardest part of the decision making process - wondering whether or not you have done the right thing. I have been a long time lurker on your blog, and now seemed the time to say - Hello! Count me in those who were praying for your decision, and Praise the Lord for his faithfulness in all things great and small. Have a blessed day!

SaRaH said...

Yes! I made your post :) I miss you too and I am SO anxious for you to visit!!! A weekend of cooking, coffee sipping by the fireplace, sappy chick-flick watching and lots of gossip, oh, I mean Goldly discussions. I'll be in Texas in a week! YAY!