Tuesday, April 15

Chocolate Cheesecake Muffins

Hello, lover! Where have you been my whole life? I had no idea what I was missing ... Seriously, I've made these at least six times in the last three weeks. In my defense, I've made meals for multiple (two) friends and taken this as dessert. Stop looking at me like that! They really are that good! And if you use the flour I recommend, and follow my recipe, they're relatively guilt-free. Or, at least, they're more guilt-free than your average chocolate muffin. I'm just saying ...

Chocolate Cheesecake Muffins
modified by Brea!

3 oz softened cream cheese
2 T sugar
1/2 c very finely chopped nuts*
scant 1/2 t vanilla
1 c whole wheat pastry flour (white whole wheat flour)
1/3 c sugar
5 T unsweetened cocoa powder
2 t baking powder
scant 1/2 t salt
1 egg
3/4 c milk
1/4 c olive oil

In a small bowl, cream together cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla. Add nuts, and set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.** Combine egg, milk, and oil in another bowl (or mixing cup), and add to dry ingredients. Batter will be somewhat thin and lumpy. Spoon 1 T batter into each greased muffin cup. Drop one T cream cheese mix on top, then one more T batter on top, making sure the cream cheese is totally covered. Bake immediately at 375 for 18-20 minutes.

*I like to use almonds, because it's not something most people would expect, and it adds a great taste.
**Sift the flour and the cocoa at the same time, so you get all the itty-bitty lumps out of the cocoa.

This recipe isn't super-sweet, and I love it. It's not worth eating cold, so if you're not going to eat the muffins straight out of the oven and burn the cr*p out of your tongue, hypothetically speaking of course! warm out of the oven, be sure to heat them up for about 10 seconds in the microwave, and have a big, cold glass of milk ready.

Now, go make these. Now. For real. Stop sitting here. You and your family can thank me later.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A true chocolate cheesecake muffins lover finds ways to accommodate his passion and make it work with his lifestyle. One key, not just to keeping weight down and staying guilt-free, but also to keeping taste buds sharp (essential for the professionals who evaluate new products as well as judge recipes), Is being discriminating. I do also have chocolate site. Check this out http://www.sarahs-sweet-fountains.co.uk

Thanks to the recipe :D

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

I was about to leave your blog when I saw the words chocolate and cheesecake. Well, hello, I can't leave yet. Must. Make. These.

Yum!

Anonymous said...

I must try these. Thanks for allowing me to take a peek on your blog! I also loved what you had to say about communicating with your spouse! I need to revisit this converstaion with my husband. Thanks for the reminder! :)