Tuesday, February 26

Hot Milk Cake

I had never made milk cake before this morning ... and how unknowingly incomplete my life has been! How dare y'all not tell me about the joy of milk cake?! I was reading Paula's blog this morning, and she had just posted this recipe. I thought it sounded good, and seeing how I hadn't eaten breakfast, I decided to make it. Mmmm ... I've already had four two slices a slice of it, and I'm having to hold myself back from eating the rest of it. I decided to send the rest with John to his leadership class this evening with some of the men from the church, so it won't be gone by the time he gets home I won't eat another few pieces.

Of course, I've modified it, because I seem to have a genetic inability to make a recipe as I read it. So make this tonight, and enjoy a big ole' chunk for breakfast!

Hot Milk Cake
from Paula, modified by Brea

4 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or white whole wheat flour)
2 1/4 t baking powder
1 T cinnamon
1/4 t cloves
1 t vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups milk
10 T butter

In a mixing bowl, beat eggs at high speed until thick, about 5 minutes. Gradually add sugar, beating until mixture is light and fluffy. Combine flour, spices, and baking powder, add to batter with vanilla and beat at low speed until smooth. In a saucepan, heat milk and butter just until the butter melts, stirring occasionally. Add to batter, beating until combined. Pour into a greased 13 X 9 baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until cake tests done.

Paula says to use all real ingredients, and I did ... except I used 1% milk, because that's all I had. It still turned out great. I also made a basic, thin glaze. To do this, take powdered sugar (2 cups maybe?) and dump it in a bowl. For this, I added a dash of cinnamon and a teeny splash of vanilla, then thinned it with half and half. Once it got fairly thin (kind of gooey, but not runny), I started adding milk to get it to a very pour-able consistency. You could also just add some whipped cream and/or fresh fruit at serving, and it would be awesome!!

So go make this! And enjoy it!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, this sounds yum. Will try. And are we related? Kind of funny about our little pen names and stuff. Good day!