Sunday, September 23

my family is whole again

Yay!! My babies are back!! My very brave and wonderful mom took all three kids over the weekend. She drove up Friday morning, and I just met her this morning in Columbus to get the kids back. It was the most wonderful and relaxing weekend I've had in a while.

On Friday, John and I just kind of vegged. I took a peaceful and uninterrupted nap. John mowed the lawn. I straightened up the house. Then I made seared Coho salmon with a ginger-lime and soy marinade, with sautéed veggies, over steamed brown rice. It turned out delicious! Supper was out on the deck, because the weather has been hot during the day, but not humid, so the evening have been really pleasant. We were able to have a fire in the fire pit once the sun went down, and we just sat outside and had a few beers and talked for over two hours. Then we watched a movie.

I woke up at my normal time (around 5:45) Saturday, had quiet time, and got quite a few things done. Then I had a very leisurely cup of coffee and spent some time in prayer. I made scrambled eggs, bacon, and toast for breakfast after John got up, then started outside on my garden. Out of all that stuff I planted a while back, only the garlic and snap peas made it. So I tilled all the rest of the area up, spread more compost, and planted spinach, swiss chard, a new kind of lettuce, and broccoli. I was very hot and tired when I was done!

John was doing a car wash with some of the employees for the St Jude's event they do each year, and I had agreed to pick up pizza and bring it to them. Then I got stuck at the car wash, helping to wash cars. In my jeans. With no sunblock. I was there for about 2 1/2 hours, and could barely walk when I got home, I was so tired and sunburned. For those of you who don't know, I avoid the sun like a vampire. I make sure that I have on a big hat and am in the shade, and I try not to be outside when the sun is at its strongest. I completely fried yesterday!!

I got home and just laid on the couch for about two hours, napping mostly, then watched the Ugly Betty marathon and did lots and lots of laundry. I got the 'problem corner' of my room cleaned out, and started on my closet. John didn't get home till around 8, and he was waaaay worse off than I was. He ended up very dehydrated and sunburned on the back of his neck and his arms, and was asleep on the couch before 9. He slept for 11 hours, and really needed it! I, on the other hand, only got 9 hours of sleep, and was up really early again this morning.

It was so nice to have a weekend off, but I missed the kids a lot. I'm so glad to have them back, and I can't wait for tomorrow evening when all 5 of us can have supper together.

1 comment:

debby said...

Hi, Brea. It is kind of interesting to read the links from Pioneer Woman. You sound like a great person. Good luck on the possible number 4. I am 50, with 5 kids. They are all grown, except for one 17-going-on-18. Kids are great. Enjoy them, because they grow up all to quickly (as cliched as that sounds). Life is not over when they're gone of course, but it does become much, much different. Have a blessed day.