Wednesday, September 5

This rain is killing me!!

Ok, so there are many, many, many beneficial things about all the rain we've had this summer.

*We haven't had to leave the house because of fires a single time, which is three times less than last summer.
*We've had to water our lawn once this year.
*All the lakes are up, so I don't have to worry about water not coming out of my faucet one day.
*Everything is green and beautiful and lovely and it makes my heart happy to drive out here in the country because of all the flowers.
*The temps have been amazing!! We didn't even hit 95 until the middle of August, compared with last year, when we hit 95 for the first time in April.
*Actually, we haven't even hit 100 out here.

But there are other things about the rain that I'm not crazy about ...

*I planted 9 different 'crops' this summer, and only two of them did well. My garlic, onions, peppers, swiss chard, spinach, and Asian greens either were washed away or rotted in the ground.
*Out of 15 tomato plants, only 5 ended up producing tomatoes, and even those were less-than-stellar producers.
*I was very excited about my fall garden, and planted snap peas, swiss chard, carrots, garlic, spinach, and snap peas. Everything started to come up beautifully, and I was really looking forward to all the things I could make form my own garden. Then came the rain ... and everything but the snap peas have started to die!!

It's all very depressing. And yes, I know, too much rain is a good problem to have (at least for us, because we live in the middle of a giant sandbox, and it doesn't flood out here). It just makes me sad to see so much of my garden not make it, when I've put so much work into it. '

Oh, well. There's always next year. And the cooler temps really have been nice ...

No comments: